Wednesday 4 May 2011

Strickland Falls and Cabbage Tree Loop

This week we headed off to Strickland State Forest, which is quite near home. The waterfall is pretty small but it gives you somewhere to walk to. This area of forest is filled with banksias, and in the wetter areas, cabbage-tree palms, hence the name of this week's glorious loop walk. Sometimes I take a lot of photos on our walks. Veghead doesn't seem to mind, although I worry that sometimes he must be thinking "there's not a lot of walking happening on this walk" but Spinneychick must have visual evidence to go along with the story. That yellow corally-looking thing is actually a fungus which was growing on the forest floor. I couldn't describe it with words. Awesome, isn't it. And those gnarly-barked banksias too. They're so lumpy. They need to be seen to be believed. Anyway, enough of that and on to something else. The scribbly bark trees for instance, which always remind me of snugglepot and cuddlepie. Apparently the scribbles are made by a bug crawling around under the bark of the tree before it falls off, but I prefer May Gibbs' idea that its the newspaper for the gumnet people. And have a gander at that tiny treelet growing straight out of the rock. Now if I didn't have a photo, you just wouldn't believe me, would you?

No comments:

Post a Comment